Sunday, August 27, 2006

Engineers make brilliant Politicians...

Only recently I read a Singaporean minister's views on how to make Singapore an even bigger tourist attraction in a newspaper. If I enjoyed a franchise right here, I'd vote for him blindly.

The dude had this to say. It's no longer enough that Singapore is a safe and convenient haven for tourists. People want it be more lively and more happening. So, Singapore's taking definitive steps in this regard as tourism is a major lynchpin in this country's economy.

He then goes on to say that these days tourism is all about pleasure - carnal and material pleasures!! Strip bars, topless discs/dance bars, pick-up joints and the associated "night-life" are the next big catchment area.

At this point, I was like in awe of this person. Could immediately sense a connect of wavelenghts!!
Now before my character scores plummet to the levels of a certain Mr. Clinton, I shall clarify my reasons:

1. The engineer that I am, I figured in a second that this guy had to be an engineer. No two ways about it!! He demonstrated the classic engineer motto - If there ain't a problem, create one...then later go on and fix it.

Half the world is creating such a ruckus against such "pleasures" and our man here is talking of promoting them. Imagine tax payer's money finding the conduit to funding competitions like "Best Pole Dance", "Best assets" etc!! Rock on brother, you have 100% votes from people under 25 - infact they'll work double shifts if you actually pull this thru :D.

2. This style is quite similar to the Indian way of governance. Which makes me feel at home. For beautification's sake first raise a tree, then complain of too much oxygen, hence cut the tree down to a stump...and reinvent the wheel all over again!!

But I definitely ain't complaining!! I love Singapore.....

No comments: