Wednesday, September 06, 2006

An ailment called Apathy

During my round-up of the news today, stumbled upon the Jessica Lall murder case story. The accused doctor has appartently surrendered. That's all I know. So far.

Only after I had moved onto all the other more "interesting" news "stories", did this thought strike me as to how much indifference we Indians harbor in us. I just skipped over the story as though it were another flippant story.

Come to think of it - terrorist attacks, bomb scares, red alerts, devastating floods - have almost become daily, mundane chores in India's day. Scariest part is we seem to have internalized them just like share script swings from Siberia to Antarctica. And Dalal Street is more likely to cause the next emergency announcement in the country than serial blasts or floods in multiple states. :(

Back to the point: a big dimension of law is to set precedents and norms for the society as to what is acceptable and what absolutely isn't. Law works by example - that's the reality. People label Singapore autocractic - but look at the other side of the coin - it's close to a self-governing state. It is way too incomprehendible for an Indian who has just accepted the judiciary taking eons to even call so much as a Head or a Tail!!

If the gulity are actually brought to the book in the Jessica Lall case, it will be a landmark judgement in India's legal and social history. It will perhaps rekindle that dead spirit inside us telling us that a human life has value - every single one.

I personally too never realized this until I came to Singapore and were I in India currently, I am sure this entry would've been some electrical impulse in one of my neurons (few) that never quite sparked!!

Apathy and indifference could possibly, and quite easily, be the worst plague to have hit us - in epidemic proportions. Cure required...and real quick. Hoping that this case be the beginning of the End. Not a Fool's hope, I hope.

No comments: